RANSOMWARE – A Type of Malicious Software and Malware
Ransomware is a type of malware that prevents or limits users from accessing their system, either by locking the system’s screen or by locking the users’ files unless a ransom is paid.
Ransomware stops you from using your PC. It holds your PC or files for “ransom”.
There are different types of ransomware. However, all of them will prevent you from using your PC normally, and they will all ask you to do something before you can use your PC.
They can target any PC users, whether it’s a home computer, endpoints in an enterprise network, or servers used by a government agency or healthcare provider.
- Prevent you from accessing Windows.
- Encrypt files so you can’t use them.
- Stop certain apps from running (like your web browser).
- The most common format of the extensions that Ransomewares come in are – exe. , doc. , ppt., XLS., Java Script – JS. VB Script – VBS.
How Will Take Protection against this Ransomware:
- use a reliable, paid antivirus as well as free basis good security products that includes an automatic update module and a real-time scanner.
- don’t store important data only on my PC .
- using 2 backups tools for save data: on an external hard drive and in the cloud – Dropbox/Google Drive/etc.
- The Dropbox/Google Drive/OneDrive/etc. application on my computer are not turned on by default.
- The OS – Operating System and the software I use is up to date, including the latest security updates.
- don’t use an administrator account on my computer.
- turned off macros in the Microsoft Office suite – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc. in the browser.
- adjusted all browsers’ security and privacy settings for increased protection
- removed outdated plugins and add-ons from browser.
- use an ad blocker to avoid the threat of potentially malicious ads.
Ransomware (a.k.a. rogueware or scareware) restricts access to your computer system and demands that a ransom is paid in order for the restriction to be removed.
A decade-old form of malicious software known as ransomware has been making headlines after cybercriminals hijacked hundreds of thousands of computers worldwide.
Ransomware, which is often transmitted by email or web pop-ups, involves locking up people’s data and threatening to destroy it if a ransom is not paid.
businesses and individuals do to protect themselves from ransomware.
** Update your software
** Install antivirus software
** Create backups of your data
** Create a security plan for your business and Personal PC.